Amir A. Pahlavan
I am currently a postdoctoral researcher at Princeton University working with Prof. Howard Stone (website). I completed my PhD in Mechanical Engineering at MIT working with Profs. Ruben Juanes and Gareth McKinley on wetting transitions and interfacial instabilities in confined and disordered media.
I have a range of interests in soft matter physics and interfacial fluid dynamics with applications in energy, environment, water resources and advanced materials. I combine experiments, theoretical modeling, and numerical simulations to advance our fundamental understanding and predictive capabilities of these phenomena across the scales.
I will serve as the co-chair for the 2020 Gordon Research Seminar on Flow and Transport in Permeable Media (website).
M.S., Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2010.
Advisors: Prof. David Saintillan and Prof. Jonathan B. Freund
Thesis: Collective dynamics in flowing suspensions of swimming micro-organisms
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Tehran, 2008.
Advisor: Prof. Kayvan Sadeghy
Refereed Journal Publications
- 1. Restoring universality to the pinch-off of a bubble.
- A. A. Pahlavan, H. A. Stone., G. H. McKinley, and R. Juanes, submitted (2018).
- 2. Signatures of fluid-fluid displacement in porous media: Wettability, invasion events, patterns, and pressures.
- B. K. Primkulov, A. A. Pahlavan, X. Fu, B. Zhao, C. W. MacMinn, and R. Juanes, submitted (2018).
- 3. Thin Films in Partial Wetting: Stability, Dewetting and Coarsening. (abstract)
- A. A. Pahlavan, L. Cueto-Felgueroso, A. E. Hosoi, G. H. McKinley, and R. Juanes, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 845, 642 (2018).
- 4. Forced Wetting Transition and Bubble Pinch-Off in a Capillary Tube (abstract)
- B. Zhao*, A. A. Pahlavan*, L. Cueto-Felgueroso, and R. Juanes, Physical Review Letters, 120, 084501 (2018).
- *Equally Contributed.
- 5. Thin Films in Partial Wetting: Internal Selection of Contact-Line Dynamics (abstract)
- A. A. Pahlavan, L. Cueto-Felgueroso, G. H. McKinley, R. Juanes, Physical Review Letters, 115, 034502 (2015). * Featured as Physics Focus article
- 6. Chaotic Dynamics and Oxygen Transport in Thin Films of Aerotactic Bacteria (abstract) (pdf)
- B. Ezhilan, A. A. Pahlavan, D. Saintillan, Physics of Fluids Letters, 24 091701 (2012).
- (Listed in the “Most Read” papers (Sep, 2012))
- 7. Instability Regimes in Flowing Suspensions of Swimming Micro-organisms (abstract) (pdf)
- A. A. Pahlavan, D. Saintillan, Physics of Fluids, 23 011901 (2011).
- (Listed in the “Most Read” papers (Jan, March, April, 2011))
- (Featured as “Research Highlights” on the Physics of Fluids website)
- 8. Effect of Solid Properties on Slip at Fluid–Solid Interfaces (abstract) (pdf)
- A. A. Pahlavan, J. B. Freund, Physical Review E, 83 021602 (2011).
- 9. On the Use of Homotopy Analysis Method for Solving Unsteady MHD Flow of Maxwellian Fluids above Impulsively Stretching Sheets (abstract) (pdf)
- A. A. Pahlavan, K. Sadeghy, Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, 14 (2009) 1355-1365.
- 10. The Influence of Thermal Radiation on MHD Flow of Maxwellian Fluids above Stretching Sheets (abstract) (pdf)
- V. Aliakbar, A. A. Pahlavan, K. Sadeghy, Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, 14 (2009) 779-794.
- 11. MHD Flows of UCM Fluids above Porous Stretching Sheets using Two-auxiliary-parameter Homotopy Analysis Method (abstract) (pdf)
- A. A. Pahlavan, V. Aliakbar, F. V. Farahani, K. Sadeghy, Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, 14 (2009) 473-488.
- 12. On the Analytical Solution of Viscous Fluid Flow past a Flat Plate (abstract) (pdf)
- A. A. Pahlavan, S. Borjian, Physics Letters A, 372 (2008) 3678-3682.
* News coverage: MIT Homepage Spotlight, MIT News, MIT Technology Review , MIT Office of the Dean for Graduate Education, MIT Energy Initiative, MIT CEE News, Department of Energy Office of Science Homepage Spotlight, Science Magazine, Inside Science from AIP/APS, Materials Today, Smithsonian Magazine, Live Science, IHS GlobalSpec, R&D Magazine, Phys.org, Nanowerk, Tech Times, Discovery, Science Daily, Science Newsline, Geek, Red Orbit, Global News Connect, Laboratory News, Lab Manager, Technology, Nano Magazine, Space Daily, EurekAlert, TechieNews, Yahoo News